Who Can Sponsor Me to Study in Canada? What You Need To Know

Who Can Sponsor Me to Study in Canada; If you’re planning to study in Canada, you probably want to know how to go about getting there.

You’ll want to find out what you need to do and how much it will cost before you head off on your adventure and get yourself settled into your new country of residence.

In this article, we will explore everything from the immigration application process to how long it takes to get a Canadian visa, helping you to answer the question of who can sponsor me to study in Canada?

Who Can Sponsor Me to Study in Canada

READ ALSO Why Is It So Hard to Fill Jobs in Certain States? What You Need To Know

Sponsorship Programmes

The Canadian Government offers three forms of sponsorship: The Quebec Skilled Worker Program, The Provincial Nominee Program and the Federal Skilled Worker Program. One may apply for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program or the Provincial Nominee Program directly; however, if one wants to immigrate to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, one must first apply for permanent residence from inside of Canada.

Applications are processed according to a point system which gives preference to people with work experience, education, language skills and age. Successful applicants will then be granted permanent resident status (also known as becoming a Canadian citizen). To qualify for this program applicants need at least 67 points out of 100 possible points.

There are some additional requirements that are outlined below

How Much Does it Cost?

The cost of studying in Canada ranges depending on the program you choose, the living situation and school.

As a rule of thumb, expect your studies to cost between $5,000 and $10,000 a year.

However, scholarships are available so do not give up hope if you cannot afford it right away.

Fees range anywhere from $5-8k per year for undergraduate programs (e.g., Bachelor’s Degree) and can be as high as $12-14k per year for graduate level programs (Master’s Degree). Find out more by contacting each school individually to learn about tuition rates or review their website or admission requirements documents.

Funding Your Degree

There are three different pathways for international students seeking to attend post-secondary studies in Canada: self-financing your education, receiving funding from the federal government, or seeking sponsorship from an individual or an organization.

Different requirements and eligibility apply for each pathway so you will need to take the time to understand your options and which is best suited for you.

Self-funding can be done by working full-time or taking out a student loan.

If you have the ability to work full-time and take out a student loan, this is a good option for you because it does not require that someone else sponsor you as well.

Work Permits, Visas and Citizenship

The Canadian government has different programs for allowing people from other countries to study, work, and live in Canada.

For many of these, the first step is completing an online profile. Your profile includes information about your personal and professional life such as your education and work experience, as well as any languages you speak.

The country you are currently living in also helps determine which category of study permit you need. For most categories, applicants must have a valid study or work permit before they enter Canada; however exceptions do exist if the applicant has already been accepted into a program at a Canadian educational institution.


If you are a student wanting to study in Canada, you have three ways of securing funding: grants, scholarships, and student loans. Grants are awarded based on merit and/or need and usually do not require repayment.

Scholarships are based on academic achievements and usually do not require repayment. Canadian Student Loans are government loans which offer interest-free repayment for the first six months of your studies.

In order to qualify for these loans, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada. The terms of the loan depend on whether or not you are studying at an undergraduate or graduate level. 

One last important point is that as long as you maintain satisfactory academic standing while studying abroad, some institutions will provide funds up to $5,000 per year in assistance with tuition fees and living expenses (depending on the institution).


You May Also Like